This post will tell you how to create a complete folder(directory) structure without the files in them.
Let us look at how to do this with the Windows Robocopy tool, and an alternative software Copywhiz.
What is Copywhiz?
Enhance your file-copy experience with Copywhiz as it lets you to have more flexibility & more control over the file-copying process. Here is how Copywhiz makes file copying a breeze:
• Copy only new or modified files
• Paste by date created or modified or accessed.
• Easily pick files by name, extension, folder, etc. from a bunch of folders
• Copy files to multiple folders/computers
• Copy files from multiple folders and paste them at once
• Pick files from multiple folders and compress in a single .zip file
• Schedule file backups
• several more hidden nuggets designed to make your file-copy task easier.
Steps to create directory structure only without copying the files inside them
Robocopy command lets us to replicate the whole directory structure without copying the files inside them. To copy empty directories, you must include the /e command-line option.
For Ex: To copy the folder “pictures” to the folder “project” without the files in it, the following command line will be used:
Robocopy C:\pictures e:\project /XF
However, Robocopy commands are not straightforward. System administrators may be able to use it. But, Robocopy is confusing for ordinary users.
Let me now show you a more comfortable and faster method.
Watch a short video about this feature:
For more tutorial videos, check out this page.
1. Select files using Windows Explorer, right-click on them and choose Copywhiz->Copy from the menu as shown below :
2. Go to the destination folder, right-click inside the folder and select Copywhiz–>Paste Advanced as shown below:
3. Copywhiz Window will open. Click on the ‘Advanced Settings’ button and select ‘Create folder structure only (Do not paste files) as shown below and click on ‘OK’ and “Paste Now.”
Copywhiz is an alternative that allows you to create the complete directory (folder) structure without copying files in them. This feature can be useful in a multi-user scenario where the system administrator wishes to create the same standard template folder structure without files for different users from an existing structure.
The most significant advantage of using Copywhiz is that you can take automatic backups of your files and folders! Read more about it here:
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for regular updates and interesting videos!
Learn more about Copywhiz.
Download the free trial from here.
Check out our other cool products.
Have a good day.
Thanks for reading till the end :)