This post will tell how to delete certain files from specific folders without much efforts and time.
I recently came across an old folder on my system, which had a lot of my old songs and essential pictures. I don’t need the songs — just the photos.
I now had two options:
1. Go to each folder of the whole folder tree, and manually delete all the pictures.
2. Use Copywhiz, a file copy app for Windows.
What is Copywhiz?
Enhance your file-copy experience with Copywhiz as it lets you to have more flexibility & more control over the file copying and backup process. Here is how Copywhiz makes file copying a breeze:
- Copy only new or modified files
- Easily pick files by name, extension, folder etc from bunch of folders
- Automatically organize files based on file attributes and metadata
- Copy files to multiple folders/computers
- Copy files from multiple folders and paste them at once
- Sync files between source and destination
- Pick files from multiple folders and compress in single .zip file
- Schedule file backups
- Several more hidden nuggets designed to make your file-copy task easier.
The trick is moving specific types of files (only pictures in our case) to another folder. Moving means deleting from the source folder after copying it to the destination folder. Later we can delete the destination folder. This way, we are achieving our goal to eliminate specific types of files from the whole folder tree.
Steps to delete specific type of files
Here is a short video depicting this feature:
- Go to Windows File Explorer, select the files from the source folder, right-click and choose Copywhiz–>Copy as shown below:
- Go to the destination folder, click Copywhiz–> Paste Advanced. The Copywhiz main window will open. Click on the Advanced Settings tab and type the name or type of files to copy under “Include Files.” (in our case, the file extension of the pictures)
Tip: You can even preview the files that will be copied before actually copying them to stay safe. Just click on the “Preview” button in the bottom right corner.
- Also enable the option “Paste all files to a single folder”.
- Click OK. You will come back to the Copywhiz main window. Under the paste options, select, “Paste and delete original (move).” Click on “Paste Now”.
- Your files will be copied to the destination folder all at once and also automatically deleted from the source folder.
- You can now delete the destination folder since the files not required are all in that. So the source folder will be left with only the files you require.
Through this method, your important files are left untouched, and all the unwanted files deleted together! Thus Copywhiz easily helped copy my files from a large number of folders and sub-folders. Thus saving me from the tedious task of scrolling through multiple files and folders.
For tutorial videos, check out this page.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for interesting videos.
Have a good day!
Thanks for making it to the end :)