This post will tell how to delete certain files from specific folders without much efforts and time.
I recently came across an old folder on my system which had a lot of my old songs and important pictures. I don’t need the songs. Just the pictures.
I now had two options:
1. Go to each folder of the whole folder tree, and manually delete all the pictures.
2. Use Copywhiz, a file copy app for Windows.
The trick to move specific type of files (only pictures in our case) to another folder. Moving means, deleting from the source folder after copying it to destination folder. Later we can simply delete the destination folder. This way we are achieving our goal to delete specific type of files from whole folder tree.
Steps to delete specific type of files
Here is a short video depicting this feature:
- Go to Windows File Explorer, select the files from the source folder, right-click and choose Copywhiz–>Copy as shown below:
- Go to the destination folder, click Copywhiz–> Paste Advanced. The Copywhiz main window will open. Click on the advanced Settings tab and type the name or type of files to copy under “Include Files”. (in our case, file extension of the pictures)
Tip: You can even preview the files that will be copied before actually copying them, to stay safe. Just click on the “Preview” button in the bottom right corner.
- Also enable the option “Paste all files to a single folder”.
- Click OK. You will come back to the Copywhiz main window. Under the paste options select, “Paste and delete original (move)”. Click on “Paste Now”.
- Your files will be copied to the destination folder all at once and also automatically deleted from the source folder.
- You can now delete the destination folder since the files not required are all in that. So the source folder will be left with only the files you require.
Through this method, your important files are left untouched and all the unwanted files are deleted together! Thus Copywhiz easily helped copy my files from a large number of folders and sub-folders. Thus saving me from the tedious task of scrolling through multiple files and folders.
For tutorial videos, check out this page.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for interesting videos.
Have a good day !
Thanks for making it to the end :)