Excluding certain folders when copying files has several advantages. You can save disk space, get rid of unwanted and temporary files and save time in copying & backing up of files. Also, handling a smaller file set is much easier.
Let us see how to do this using Robocopy, and an alternative software , Copywhiz which does the same thing in a much user friendly manner.
What is Copywhiz?
Enhance your file-copy experience with Copywhiz as it lets you have more flexibility and control over the file-copying process. Here is how Copywhiz makes file copying a breeze:
• Copy only new or modified files
• Easily pick files by name, extension, folder etc from bunch of folders
• Copy files to multiple folders/computers
• Copy files from multiple folders and paste them at once
• Pick files from multiple folders and compress in single .zip file
• Schedule file backups
• Several more hidden nuggets designed to make your file-copy task easier.
An image depicting one of the features of Copywhiz
Steps to exclude specific folders when copying files
Robocopy Source Destination/XD dirs [dirs]… command lets us to specify a list of directories (folders) containing strings to be excluded. These strings are not entered directly in the command switch. They are one or more text files that list the strings to be excluded.
For Ex: To copy files from “projects” folder to the folder “backup”, by excluding certain type of folders, say, the ones having your personal information, the following command line will be used:
Robocopy c:\projects c:\backup xd list-of-excluded-folders
But these Robocopy commands are not straightforward. System administrators may be able to use. Robocopy is quite difficult for common users. Instead, let me show you an easier and faster way to do this.
Watch a short video describing this feature:
2. Go to the destination folder, right click and choose Copywhiz–> Paste Advanced. The Advanced Settings dialogue box will open.
3. You can include or exclude files/folders to be copied by typing their names, file extensions or folder names. You can then select the “Exclude folders” option. You can also preview the list of files that will be copied and files that will be skipped by clicking on the Preview button. After confirming, press the OK button in the Advanced Settings dialog box.
4. Click on “OK” and then “Paste Now” to complete file copying.
Copywhiz lets you choose which type of files to copy and which to ignore – i.e, it lets you to do ‘Selective File Copy’. Pick only those files and folders that are important and avoid the ones not required with Copywhiz. Easily filter files by name, extension, folder etc. from a bunch of folders.
Complete big file copy tasks with just a few clicks and save manual effort with Copywhiz.
The biggest advantage of using Copywhiz is that you can take automatic backups of your files and folders! Read more about it here:
Learn more about Copywhiz.
Download the free trial from here.
For more tutorial videos, click here .
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for regular updates and interesting videos!
Check out our other cool products.
Have a good day.
Thanks for reading :)