This post will tell you how to copy a new file as an existing file without changing the name of the existing file, by using Windows copy-paste method as well as an alternative software, Copywhiz.
What is Copywhiz?
Enhance your file-copy experience with Copywhiz as it lets you to have more flexibility & more control over the file-copying process. Here is how Copywhiz makes file copying a breeze:
Copying new file as old file
This is a feature needed and used by every person at some point of his work, regardless of the nature of work performed. Saving time on this simple process helps increase work productivity.
Using Windows copy-paste
1. Select the new file from it’s source folder and right click and copy/cut or use Ctrl+C/X
2. Go to the destination folder and paste the file there.
3. You will get an error pop-up saying that the destination already has a file with the same name. You will have to replace or skip the file.
4. Dealing with these error popups every time is annoying and your time is also wasted.
Even if your source and destination file are the same, the new file is saved as a copy of the existing file. You will then have to delete the old file and rename the new file.
Here is a short video perfectly depicting this feature:
1. Right-click on the file that needs to be copied and choose Copywhiz–>Copy from the menu as shown below:
2. Go to the destination folder, right-click on the file that needs to be replaced and select Copywhiz–>Paste Special.
3. Under the Paste Special you will find the option ‘Paste as (new file -> old file)’ as shown below.
4. The old file will be replaced keeping it’s name intact. You will be intimidated with a pop-up and also a sound is played indicating successful completion of a file copy task.
While the traditional Windows method takes a lot of time and efforts, Copywhiz does the same task in just a few clicks and without error popups.
It is thus a very handy tool for file copy and automatically taking scheduled & incremental backups.
For short tutorial videos, Check out this page.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more interesting videos.
Check out our other cool products.
Have a good day!
Thanks for your time :)