This post will show you how to copy files only of the size (small or large) you want, allowing you to exclude files not needed.
Why filter files based on size?
We would sometimes not want files that are too large or sometimes we may require only large files to be copied. Whatever may be the case, the basic idea is to select the files to be copied only based on their sizes.
Wouldn’t it be great if you could actually do that without much time and efforts? Instead of copying all the files and later deleting the ones not required, you can just skip copying files not required altogether.
Let us look at how this is possible with Windows Robocopy tool and an alternative software Copywhiz.
What is Copywhiz?
Enhance your file-copy experience with Copywhiz as it lets you have more flexibility & more control over the file-copying process. Here is how Copywhiz makes file copying a breeze:
• Copy only new or modified files
• Easily pick files by name, extension, folder etc. from a bunch of folders
• Copy files to multiple folders/computers
• Copy files from multiple folders and paste them at once
• Pick files from multiple folders and compress in single .zip file
• Schedule file backups
• Several more hidden nuggets designed to make your file-copy task easier.
Steps to copy files based on size
The Robocopy command Robocopy source [destination] /max:n lets you set the maximum limit on a file size. Which means files larger than the mentioned size would not be copied.
Similarly the command Robocopy source [destination] /min:n lets you set the minimum file size limit so that files smaller than the mentioned size would not be copied.
For ex: to exclude files larger than 10 KB when copying files from “projects” folder to “backup” folder , you will apply the following command :
Robocopy d:\temp\projects e:\backup /xf max:10kb
Similarly for ex: to exclude files smaller than 10 KB when copying files from “projects” folder to “backup” folder , you will apply the Command :
Robocopy d:\temp\projects e:\backup /xf min:10kb
However, these Robocopy commands are quite difficult to understand and use by common users. Only system administrators find it easy.
Let me show you a much easier and straightforward method.
Watch a short video depicting this feature:
3. The Advanced Settings dialog box will open. You can include or exclude files/folders to be copied by typing /selecting file size. You can also preview the list of files that will be copied and files that will be skipped by clicking on the Preview button. After confirming, press the Ok button in the Advanced Settings dialog box. All the required files will be copied successfully.
4. Click on “OK” and then “Paste Now”. Your files will instantly be copied.
As you have seen above, When copying files using Copywhiz, you can exclude or include specific types of files/folders. You gain more control over what is being copied. With few clicks, you complete big file copy tasks & save manual effort.
You can avoid files that are not required like those files that occupy too much space and only pick files that are important.
For more tutorial videos, check out this page.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more such interesting videos.
Have a good day !