During our file copy, we would sometimes not want files that are too large, or sometimes we may require only large files to be copied. Whatever may be the case, the basic idea is to select the files you want to copy only based on their sizes.
Wouldn’t it be great if you could do that without much time and effort? Instead of copying all the files and later deleting the ones not required, you can just skip copying files not required altogether.
This post will show you how to copy files only of the size (small or large) you want, allowing you to exclude files not needed. Let us look at how this is possible with Windows Robocopy tool and an alternative software Copywhiz.
What is Copywhiz?
Enhance your file-copy experience with Copywhiz as it lets you to have more flexibility & more control over the file copying and backup process. Here is how Copywhiz makes file copying a breeze:
- Copy only new or modified files
- Easily pick files by name, extension, folder etc from bunch of folders
- Automatically organize files based on file attributes and metadata
- Copy files to multiple folders/computers
- Copy files from multiple folders and paste them at once
- Sync files between source and destination
- Pick files from multiple folders and compress in single .zip file
- Schedule file backups
- Several more hidden nuggets designed to make your file-copy task easier.
Steps to copy files based on size
The Robocopy command Robocopy source [destination] /max:n lets you set the maximum limit on a file size. Which means files larger than the mentioned size would not be copied.
Similarly, the command Robocopy source [destination] /min:n lets you set the minimum file size limit so that files smaller than the mentioned size would not be copied.
For e.x: to exclude files larger than 10 KB when copying files from “projects” folder to “backup” folder, you will apply the following command :
Robocopy d:\temp\projects e:\backup /xf max:10kb
Similarly for ex: to exclude files smaller than 10 KB when copying files from “projects” folder to “backup” folder , you will apply the Command :
Robocopy d:\temp\projects e:\backup /xf min:10kb
However, these Robocopy commands are quite difficult to understand and use by ordinary users. Only system administrators find it easy.
Let me show you a more comfortable and straightforward method.
Watch a short video depicting this feature:
1. Select files using Windows Explorer, right-click on them and choose Copywhiz->Copy from the menu as shown below :
2. Go to the destination folder, right-click inside the folder and select Copywhiz–>Paste special–>Paste files by name or type as shown below:
3. The Advanced Settings dialog box will open. You can include or exclude files/folders to be copied by typing /selecting file size. You can also preview the list of files that will be copied and files that will be skipped by clicking on the Preview button. After confirming, press the OK button in the Advanced Settings dialog box. All the required files will be copied successfully.
4. Click on “OK” and then “Paste Now”. Your files are instantly.
As you have seen above, when copying files using Copywhiz, you can exclude or include specific types of files/folders. You gain more control over what is copied. With a few clicks, you complete big file copy tasks & save manual effort.
You can avoid files that are not required, like those files that occupy too much space and only pick essential files.
The most significant advantage of using Copywhiz is that you can take automatic backups of your files and folders!
Read more about it here:
For more tutorial videos, click here .
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for regular updates and interesting videos!
Learn more about Copywhiz.
Download the free trial from here.
Check out our other cool products.
Have a good day.